Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Jays Baptism

Aug 6th, 2011 my son Pulu Jay Otukolo got baptized in the Taylorsville Stake Center on a beautiful Saturday afternoon by his father.
So while leading up to this date, I felt the urge to get Jay spiritually prepared for this moment. I wanted him to WANT to get baptized and feel the spirit testify of the decision to get baptized. So I started up Family Scripture reading a month prior...we started reading here and there scriptures on baptism, then we started reading straight in D&C, my kids really love Doctrine & Covenants, I think it's easier for them to understand. Anyway Jay had and always does have tons of questions and instead of being irritated like always I was happy to answer them because I really wanted him to understand why it's such a blessing to be a  member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Doing that along with family prayers really really bonded our family together and when the day came that Jay was to be baptized I took a minute to look at him and I thought WOW, he's all grown up! (I know he's not) but I felt like he was because he is responsible now to make his own decisions and will be accountable. I contemplated on me and Pulu and how we did as parents to lead him to this point. I couldn't be more proud of Pulu, he has ALWAYS been such a great example to Jay, he takes him everywhere, teaches him everything he knows, enjoys Jays fifty billion questions and answers them, he is a wonderful dad to Jay, and I am so grateful that they are best friends. Me on the other hand, not so patient with him...lmbo but I know that Jays tender heart, and fifty thousand questions comes from me his mother! I am a curious person, just not outspoken about it, I am fascinated with the gospel, as Jay is. I see a lot of me and Pulu instilled in Jay and it warms my heart to know we made him, we led him down the right path. :)
So the day of and this was the program:
Conducting: 2nd counselor of bishopric Paul Brown
Chorister: Voni Louis
Pianist: Tisha Wolfgramm
Opening Prayer: Leafa Faletau
Opening Song: "I'm trying to be like Jesus"
Talk on Baptism: Nancy Otukolo
Musical #: Kakala Netane (When I am Baptized)
Baptismal Ordinance: Performed by Pulu Otukolo
(witnesses: Keila Otukolo & Ifa Motuliki)
Talk on Holy Ghost: Connie Motuliki
Confirmation: Performed by Salesi Ika
Testimony: Jay Otukolo
Remarks: Dianna Otukolo
Welcome & Closing Remarks: Paul Brown (bishopric)
Closing Song: "I am a child of God"
Closing Prayer: Linita Otukolo

I could not be more happy with this program. Jay wanted Nancy to talk because he looks up to her for wanting to serve a mission, and so we felt like yeah she would be perfect, this will give her an opportunity to teach and get some practice in. I had asked her and my mom to give object lesson talks, so it would draw Jays attention. Nancy had a picture of Jay inside a plastic covering, she had cheese wiz and 2 napkins that said Baptism and Sacrament on them. She told Jay when he sins, or says mean things to people, or doesn't choose the right, his picture can look like this, and she sprayed cheese wiz over his face, then she said when u are baptized (holding up napkin) your sins are washed away and she wiped it clean. Then she said but sometimes after baptism we forget, and we start making mistakes, and sinning, she sprayed his face again, she grabbed the sacrament napkin and told him we renew our covenants every Sunday and we are clean again. It was a great lesson, and I'm so grateful Jay understood and I felt the spirit. Then my mom spoke after Jay was baptized about the Holy Ghost. I LOVED her talk, my mom is a great teacher, and she had tons of things in a BYU backpack that she was pulling out and relating it to the Holy Ghost. She pulled out a flashlight, and told him it's to remind him of the path he needs to be on, she had a compass in there so he knows the H.G. will always lead him in the right direction, she had a blanket for comfort, she had pack of snickers and she said when your friends snicker at you for making right choices, this is a reminder to CTR! She had a pic of Jesus Christ surrounded by children and said most importantly the Holy Ghost will always lead you to Christ. She made me cry, and Jay was a lil emotional too. He got up and bore his testimony, he was really shy but he recited his 4th article of Faith, with me by his side holding his hand lol. Then I gave my thoughts and thanked everyone for coming, thanked my son for his decision in wanting to be baptized, I cried cause I'm a cry baby prego! I was so overcome with joy that day, it was just a spiritual day. Salesi Ika who is a very very dear uncle to Pulu and I is from Hemet, CA. They were down here for Pulu's family reunion, and thank goodness because they were able to come to Jay's baptism so Pulu asked him to confirm Jay. This man is so spiritual and I love him so much! His blessing to Jay was beautiful and made my heart palpitate when he said Jay would serve around the world teaching the gospel...I still tear up thinking about it. I am so grateful for all the family, & friends who came out and supported. It was an amazing day, and afterwards we handed out sack lunches! Best thing ever, super cheap, and best of all NO CLEAN UP! It was perfect too, cause of the reunion going on and what not, people needed to go. A very blessed day, with blessed people :) I'm so sad I didn't get not ONE pic of Jay, not one with us, NOTHING...but I'm sure others took pics, hopefully I can get one. All I have are our memories, hence the reason I wrote it all down.~

2 comments:

carolineluvsulysses said...

Jays awesome especially his dancing moves :) Nancy is so cool, her talk sounded awesome wish I was there to see it all, Im sure kakalas song was beautiful lol shes so sweet... love ya anna and hope pulus all better soon

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

Congrats to your handsome Jay! So sorry I didn't make it to his special day!