So as you all know I moved from a palangi (white) ward to the Tongan ward about 2 years ago. When we moved to Taylorsville, we went to several palangi wards trying to see where we would "fit in" Every ward we went to they were great, but I had a strong pulling feeling to try the Tongan ward. But I had vowed to myself that I would NEVER EVER be in a Tongan ward, because I always felt like they should be done away with, they were segregating, they were using culture FIRST & then seeing how to adjust that into religion. I hated that...but I thought, well you can't judge by what you "think you know". So thus why we joined Taylorsville 6th ward. Immediately I was welcomed & felt very comfortable, then about 9 months later I was given a calling in the Primary as 2nd counselor. I was ecstatic because I was the President in my old ward & really missed serving in the Primary. Well when I got into the Presidency it was NOTHING like how it was in the palangi ward. I got to see first hand how the ward was run. In one word. WRONG! Yes the way they do things do not comply with the handbooks we are to follow, it's not a guideline. It's a handbook of what to do, how to do etc. we had old ones, the bishopric didn't even know what I was talking about when I said there was another manual we needed. Then the budget. The Tongans feel that we shouldn't use the church's budget, we should use our own money & then ask the bishop to pay our bills later cause surprise surprise they are broke after throwing a party for 250 people!! They also feel that we should listen only to people who hold a title. If you don't, well simple enough you or your opinion doesn't matter. Disrespect and jealousy are huge in the Tongan wards. The lack of COMMUNICATION is over the roof. No one wants to serve in the Primary or Nursery because they can't talk (gossip) nursery never has lessons or singing time. They just play & eat. We're not a day care, we are suppose to be teaching! There's no organization period! In the 2 years I served we had 1 meeting, never turned in any receipts but we sure had over 10 parties! The president in my ward is a great person. I really like her, but working and serving under her was extremely hard! I felt so lost, irritated & disappointed in her as our president. I wished, & hoped she would step it up, but she was so set in her ways (culturally) she kept telling me I'll get use to the "Tongan ways" ummm really? Last I knew, this was the Lords way! But because I'm half, I don't really understand! Pshhhh whatever!
So anywho I struggled and wondered why the heck would the Lord send me here?
Well I continued to serve regardless of this all because I knew that if anyone it was the Primary children who were the innocent ones & I loved and enjoyed serving them. The pres asked me to do the Primary Program. I was like, okay. So since we had done one before with my old presidency. I thought we would do the same thing, it was a huge hit & I absolutely loved it! So we went ahead and used a sharing/singing time to get all the kids to write their own parts. Things were a Lil rough that day because like I said NO MEETING=NO COMMUNICATION=DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! So anywho I thought its ok, we'll get it going. Mind u, me & the first counselor were doing sharing & singing time with no piano it was terrible, but we got creative and started using our phones for the music. So anyway Primary Program practices on Tuesdays started up, and unfortunately I was unable to go to the first practice because Pulu was at football practice & my brother was in town. So I told the Pres I'll email her the final copy of the program & she can make copies for everyone. About 7:30pm (the practice started at 6) I get a text from the secretary asking me to email her the copy cause the Pres didn't get my email. Uhhhh why didn't she tell me???? I mean hello I could've sent it again. But no she waits for the last minute. So I sent it again, I asked the secretary to text me that she received it. She did. That night around 9pm I text the secretary asking how the program went. She said I'll text you tomorrow. ??? Ok weird, so I waited Til the next day to hear from her & nothing. Then I opened up my email & I get an email from the President saying since you didn't email me the program, I went ahead and did a new one, hope you understand! WTH?!!! Are you kidding me?? Breathe in breathe out!!!
I WAS PISSED OFF! I worked so hard to put that together, I moved from Taylorsville back to Glendale, but stayed in the T-ville ward cause I knew that they needed our help. I was staying for the Primary Program & then planned on moving out after that...but after she did that, I text her & the counselor & sec. And told them goodbye. That was a slap in my face & I figured I was staying to help her out, and she obviously thinks she can do it better, by all means do it! I didn't say that she hurt me or I was PO'd but I just told her that she's got it then she doesn't need me. She wrote back, thanks for everything. So that surely told me she could care less!
I sat for a minute thinking did I do the right thing? Should I have stayed for the sake of the Primary. But I felt what I did was the right thing to do. The Pres needs to Learn her role & I truly hope they do well. I also hope she learns that it's not as easy as I made it look. I took the brunt of her job & I hope she learned something from that.
I learned that everything I thought of the Tongan wards is TRUE 100%.
I Know what I need to do now, first step go back to the palangi ward!! (:
3 comments:
Wow, that was just like me...except not like that. i underestimated the palangi ward so much, but because at the time i was always raised in the tongan ward. by the time i moved to the palangi ward-all my doubts about the ward was proven wrong. I LOVE IT. from the diversity, to the individuals. I can honestly agree with you on how you feel about the tongan wards. it took me to move out to realize everything you realized. You definitely made a wise choice! :) sorry had to put my 2 cents in :)
We were right there with you but, they dissolved the ward where we were so we all have to be with each other now!
It isn't theirs or ours, its the Lord's church and I think we get in trouble when we forget that. Good for you! Sometimes you just have to remove yourself from things.
Thanks Line & Trisha! I'm grateful I was able to see for myself & not continue to judge from the outside looking in. Trisha I was thinking all of the Tongan wards here would be dissolved too? I dunno time will tell. It would be nice for everyone to be intermixed.
Post a Comment