Monday Nov 7th Pulu lost his grandpa Taniela Otukolo aka Grampa Kolo. Kolo was on his way back from Tonga. He died in Fiji. He wasn't suppose to come back to Salt Lake til next week, but for some reason he wanted to come early. I know it's because he knew it was his time to go. :( When I received the news I was at my moms house waiting for Pulu to get off work. He called me around 5ish, and he sounded really somber. He asked me what I was doing, I said nothing just hanging out with my mom talking. He then said really quietly my grampa Kolo passed away. I could feel the hurt and pain in Pulu's voice. I felt so bad that I couldn't hug him thru the phone. He didn't cry, but I know it hasn't really hit Pulu. Pulu is the eldest, and a very stoic father figure type while growing up...so this didn't surprise me. Pulu has never lost someone close to him before, and so I know he doesn't know how to act, I think he's still in shock til this day. I don't think it'll hit him til he sees his grampa's body. Kolo's body is to arrive in Salt Lake tomorrow. Funeral arrangements have not been set, he and his wife Leafa have like 15 children, so they need to make sure everyone will be able to come down, and then he has brothers and sisters as well that want to come down to say their goodbye's. My heart melted when I picked Pulu up from work. Still somber looking, not really saying much. Just kept saying I just can't believe it. I feel bad for my Grama Leafa, this is so surreal to me, I still can't believe my grampa is gone. It's hard to see him like this. It's hard for me to hear him feel so sad, yet no tears...he won't let his wall down. I hope he will let it all out, I'm sure he will at the funeral.
 |
| Leafa, Pulu, & Kolo on Kolo's 80th B'day |
 |
| Fathers Day 2011 |
 |
| @ Belinda's Graduation, he was so proud |
 |
| There's that SMILE :) |
Kolo was a great well educated man. I remember when Pulu and I got married and he stood up on the stage and handed me an envelope with $1,000 dollars in it. From that day on I loved him lol..jk! He had such a big heart, although Pulu and I didn't get married in the temple, to give that much...I knew he loved his grandson! Everytime we would see Kolo he would be smiling, I swear this man had a smile to light up a room. He was a very very very HARD WORKER! He always was doing something, he was small in stature but boy did he act like he was 6'2 and 260lbs! He preached and preached about school and education. His last words to us was on his birthday. He told all of us to stay in school, or if we weren't in school to push our children to go to school, and to stay in school. He was big on school. He was my dad's math teacher in Tonga, so very smart man. He was so kind to me and my children. Never felt anything but love from him to my family. I loved him, still do and am grateful for the qualities he instilled in his son Salesi which in turn instilled into my husband. Thank you for your example of determination, hard work, and most of all your unconditional love! You will be missed, you are missed, and we will love you forever~ Thank you Lord for Eternal Families. Til we meet again Ofa Atu Grandpa~
3 comments:
What a great tribute Anna, and you're right, he has a great smile! Condolences to your family and especially Pulu during this hard time....but you're right, families are forever...and we're grateful for that!
Sorry to hear about yalls loss. My Mom was on the same flight from Tonga to Fiji so that's how we heard the news. Will keep your family in our prayers. May you find peace in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm very thankful for the plan of salvation and the knowledge I have that families can be forever! Ofa Atu from our family to yours!
How sad, I hope you are all doing ok. Let me know if you need anything. He sure does look like a very kind and loving grandpa. Love you Otukolo's! Families are forever!
Post a Comment