Monday, June 20, 2011

Thinkin bout it...

To breastfeed or to NOT? If you know me, then you know what I've been thru with the whole breastfeeding problem I have. I breastfed my eldest Ariana almost 11 years ago, and never tried with the other 2, because I got mastitis with Ariana, and a hole the size of a small candy bar on the right side of my breast, I didn't grow new skin there for 4 months, and couldn't care for Ariana because any touch to the breast would cause serious aches and pain for me. So Pulu had to work full time, and wake up with her at night, feed her, bathe her, do everything for her. He also had to take care of me by changing my bandages, filling the "hole" with medicine, and cleaning it out EVERYDAY for 4 months! It was very hard on the both of us, and yes even 11 years later we remember like it was yesterday how it was! lol...Buut I've been really contemplating breastfeeding with this child. I feel like I can do it, I know all the signs and symptoms of a breast infection, and I feel like I can do it. I am nervous though, because Selini will only be 2 years old when I have this baby, and I'm afraid she will be so jealous, and I won't be able to tend to her as much because I will be tied up breastfeeding. So what to do what to do. There are pro's and cons. I loved bottle feeding because Pulu got to do it, and so do my younger kids. It makes them bond with baby too which is super duper cute. Bottle feeding is quite convenient too when you're shopping, or at the movies, or at church etc. I don't ever have to get up and leave and hide myself in the bathroom or with a blanket and breastfeed for 20 mins or so. Buuut the cons is IT IS EXPENSIVE! If you don't qualify for WIC, then paying for that baby milk will cost you and arm and a leg...which I don't know if we want to dip into our funds that much for milk! hmmmm What do u think?

10 comments:

TrishHavili said...

That's a tough one! I agree with the convenience of formula but so true with the cost. And what a nightmare with your first breastfeeding experience, yikes! I have issues with my babies latching on so I usually pump for the first two months. Maybe you can do both? Good luck!

Jobi Niu said...

That is a hard decision! I nursed and bottle fed both of my boys, but only stuck out nursing for like 4 months. Well with Oakley, I JUST stopped. She's almost 15 months old. She would NEVER take a bottle! It sucked. LOL. But we've been broke living out here in LA and breastfeeding is free! I LOVED my nursing cover. If you choose to breastfeed, go to www.uddercovers.com and you can get a free nursing cover, just pay shipping. I think the promo code you use is 1free. Anyways, , nursing is so damn hard and inconvenient at times.. and at first absolutely KILLS and when they get teeth!!! But a great bonding thing ya know? Honestly, I don't know if I'll breastfeed my next baby (no, I'm not pregnant!!) It's been sooo annoying her not taking a bottle!!! Never getting any help.

Kassie said...

OUCH.. I hated nursing.. I barely lasted 5 months, I can't imagine having to go through what you did with Ariana.. :( That's a tough one, because you dont know what will happen and when you have that bad of an experience it ruins it! formula is freaking expensive as heck.. I'm going to go broke with twins! Maybe I'll nurse one of em haha

Nena said...

What about pumping? I'd say go with breastfeeding since it is best for baby and that's what really matters, but if it's going to hurt your health then try pumping or stick with formula.

Ane said...

I am totally about the au naturale...but I say do both...try it out for the first few months and switch to bottles if you need to. That way you cut costs..This is the first time I had to do both and I think it was a HUGE blessing. Because, I didn't always have the funds for formula and on the other hand when I did need to give him a bottle he would take it. I think if our situation was different I would have never bottle fed him. CONS about bottle feeding...I do have to say. Our other kids were not as sick as our youngest..which I think had a lot to do with them being ONLY breastfed. Sorry my thoughts are forever long....lol! Best thing...listen to your body and follow your instincts! :)

Lani M. Latu said...

It's funny reading your blog, because in the months that I worked at WIC as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor my initial reaction is to tell you that you can do it! and I still believe that. I breastfed my first for 8 months and had to stop because I was pregnant and no milk was coming in, and with my 2nd well.. I'm still breastfeeding my little one (she's 14 months now). I'm sure just based on your experience with mastitis, if I were in the same situation, it would be a hard decision to make, so I mean, I'd always tell moms to try it, and there's always ways of working around it. The first 4-6 months (I think) is the hardest because they rely solely on you for milk (if you decide to exclusively breastfeed)... I always suggested that in the first few weeks after you give birth because you'll always have that extra milk to pump after every feeding and save that milk in the freezer, and anytime you feel you want your husband or kids to help feed or what not, you can give that or if ever later on you feel like they weren't satisfied then you have that extra stored to give. But also, your family can help do other things other than feeding, like changing diapers or rockin' the baby to sleep, or what not. Anyhow, I could go on FOREVER about breastfeeding, because I support it all the way, and we always want to give our kids the best, and I feel like breastfeeding is. Anyhow, if you ever need help, lmk! I'm not an expert, but I think I know quite a lot (through work and experience) but I also know people that can help you if anything ever arises! Hope this helped some, take care! :)

Brian N Sela Misinale said...

I VOTE FOR BREAST FEEDING!!!..lol I had a bad first time experience to, but when my second came along I was up for it :D... You can totally do breast feeding at night and pumping during the day... that was my thing for 12 months... I would pump at work on breaks and get about 20oz by the end of my work day and that would be babys milk while I was at work the following day.... while I was home I would breast feed him :) I NEVER felt comfy breast feeding outside of home so my pump was my best friend :)....its easier than it sounds..PLUS its BEST for baby and helps get baby weight off so thats a PLUS PLUS for me :D

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

I completely agree with Sela.....pump while you're away...that way your baby will get all the benefits of breast milk and your hubby and kids can feed too! And when you're at home, you can spend the QT with your baby feeding it. Just try it, but if you notice anything like what happened with Ariana, STOP! I would hate for you to have to go through that again!

pwincessdi said...

Thank u ladies, this really does make it easier for me to TRY! Great advice from all of you, I really appreciate it. Lani, I might be callin you about things :)

Trish. said...

You can do both! if you go the Enfamil website you can join their baby club or what ever it is and they send you a ton of free baby formula, coupon and checks to use for formula. It can help out alot! Good Luck!