Saturday, December 18, 2010

Edified

We went to California last weekend on the 11th. Our cousin Salesi/Elder Ika had his farewell and we were fortunate enough to go see him off and listen to his beautiful powerful testimony. For me I was totally edified that whole weekend. It's amazing how home can be felt in 2 places. When we were in Hemet, I felt like this is my HOME...this is where my heart is, but then I was also excited to get back here to Salt Lake...it's a weird feeling, and I'm sure others feel this way too. Especially those who have migrated from other countries. Anyway I have always had a special place in my heart for missionaries. Every time I see them, or hear their testimonies I cry. I am amazed at how young they are and how willing and sure of themselves they are when they share their testimonies, it's beautiful to me. So when Elder Salesi Ika got up on Sunday and bore his testimony I couldn't help but think he was only 16 almost 17 when we left Hemet and how much he had grown into a young strong man! I was so impressed with his demeanor and his stature that day. I couldn't help the tears flowing down my cheeks. He said something that really stuck out to me. He shared a story about a seminary teacher who when they walked into the classroom he did not speak to them at all the whole class time. He would try to tell them things of what to do without speaking. He said at first it was funny...but then it got hard, and they were trying to focus, and do what he was trying to tell them. At the end of class the teacher said to them this is how it must feel for those who are on the other side of the veil telling us to do their work for them in the temple! It made me cry and think gosh what a great lesson! I am glad he shared that because it really made me think...there are sooo many up there just WAITING for me to listen and to do their work so they can be with their families again! Elder Ika said he wants nothing more than to be with his family for Eternity, and that's what we all need to strive for, and to help those who cannot help themselves. There were soo many other things he said in that talk that touched my heart and opened up my mind. Like when he said he was soo grateful for the Scouting Program and how much it had helped him to go on his mission, and how much it made him grow into a man. I am so glad he said that because I personally didn't care for that program. But I see now why it's so imp to our church. Anyways I was edified and grateful and miss my Hemet Ika family dearly. Their family is a template of how to live the gospel and how I would love my family to be one day. Thank u Ika Family in Hemet you always bring me back to the basics. By the way Elder Ika is serving in Minneapolis, Minnesota...brrrrr!!

1 comment:

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

I love listening to missionaries too.....I always get emotional listening to their powerful testimonies and seeing their faith and dedication through their work...it always reminds me of the best year and a half of my single life....